Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Got Motivation?

Training Week 6: August 12 (yup, Sunday...why? find out!)

So, it's Saturday morning, August 11 and I'm supposed to wake up and run with my team today....what happens? I get up and feel nauseous (and no, it's not what you're thinking b/c if you know me, you know where my hubby is at) and dizzy and I'm like...I really wanna go run, but I don't think I can drive 2 hours to the Sawyer Creek Trail past Palo Alto today...ugh! And so, I play doctor and realize that first and foremost, I have to listen to my body...it's one of the key points of maintaining a healthy, active lifestyle. If it hurts, take some time to rest...if you're body is saying no, make sure you heed its warning signs or else you'll end up paying for it in the end. So, yes..I heeded my own body signals and took time to rest. But geeze..why did I feel like so horrible for missing out on my training..it seriously felt like a bout of withdrawal b/c as I glanced at the clock and it read 11:30am, I kept on saying to myself...by this time, I would have been done with my 7 mile run...oh, this sucks! Although I felt physically better by noon, I couldn't help but feel disappointed in myself even though I knew I had done the right thing.

What to do? Well, being the die-hard go-getter that I am, I decided that the very next day, August 12, I would drive to San Francisco and run along the marina....so far, my favorite place to run and finish my 7 miles doing a double loop from the Presidio to Fort Mason. And best of all, I would also take the opportunity to invite my parents along so they could enjoy the bay...they've been wondering what keeps me so busy that I deny coming over for Saturday brunch at their house each week..hehe. Well, that and I know my folks have been wanting a change of scenery from the humdrum of life in Sac. So, I tell them we'll carpool to SF starting at 7am..they're amazed that I can wake up that early and frankly, I am too every week when I do just that to train with the team. Go me!

The day is beautiful in Sacramento, but by the time we make it to the Bay Bridge, I can feel the air getting crisp and the fog is still blanketing the Golden Gate Bridge from coming into full view. We get to the marina and I bid adieu to my folks and oh yeah...I've got my brand new camelbak with me today! I'm testing it out b/c I know I am going to need extra hydration for 7 miles. As I'm making a turn towards my 2nd mile, I hear someone behind say, "Chandara? Is that you?" I turn around and low and behold, it's Breanne, the development manager for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation in SF...she's the head honcho for helping us fundraise for Team Challenge. She looks at me in disbelief that I drove all the way out here to run by myself, but also appears amazed that I'm crazy enough to do stuff like this. She's actually out running 12 miles with a friend today, so we part ways and I'm left thinking, "Damn, it's a small world out here!" haha....in a good way, of course. Isn't it funny when you think about it and you realize, of all the people who you don't know out there in this world, you will always, bump into somebody you do know...how amazing is that!

During my run, I am inspired by the new mommies and daddies who take their babies (and even puppies) out running/walking with them. It's truly my Reason to Smile this week. It's so nice to see people who are so committed go the extra mile and not even let the excuse of "I have a baby" stop them from doing what they love with the people they love. Most of the time, the kiddies are asleep in their swanky sporty strollers as their parents whiz by me. That's what I say...start'em out young and hopefully, they'll pick up this healthy habit! :) And oh..as for the run itself...simply stunning! I ran along the marina and during the last 2 miles back, I ended up running on the beach path along the ocean...great view! There were so many doggies with their owners out there playing on the beach and I even spotted a special dog walkers group all walking their little "Coton De Tulear." From afar, they resemble pearly white mini puffs of cotton with feet scurrying about. When they're close up, I think they actually look like miniature versions of the Shaggy Dog as seen on the classic Disney movie...haha...some may beg to differ, but to me, they looked like they could have been driving a white car with some kids in the back..haha!

And oh yeah...see that large (uncropped) picture up there with me running with what looks like my own dog? Well, not exactly. My dad snapped this picture of me running and some dog ran into my shot chasing his green ball...it was fitting I suppose b/c now it looks like a nice postcard shot. hahaha! Till next time...I shall see you soon!



No comments: