Thursday, January 29, 2009

The agony of waiting + other ramblings

Earlier this week, I submitted my Columbia application...finally! Since Columbia is the only bschool with rolling deadlines, I figured I can apply to it last and still find out of my admission status in April. I have to admit that it does get easier to click the 'submit' button the 4th time around, but the waiting game has me on pins and needles. I wake up each morning and before even jumping out of bed, I roll over and grab my iphone to check my email, each time hoping I can stumble on some good news.

I checked out the HBS Director's blog and found out they'll be releasing interview invites starting February 9, so I am keeping my toes and fingers crossed for the best of luck. Yesterday, I popped in a Season 2 episode of 'Ghost Whisperer' and there was a scene in which Melinda Gordon's new friend, the professor, was talking about how envisioning what you really want will coerce it to come true. Wishful thinking, I suppose, but I couldn't help but imagine checking my email on Feb 9 and seeing that one of them was from the HBS adcom.

I feel like I'm a high school senior all over again...ugh! But to help keep my worries at bay, I've gotten back into my normal fitness routine: spinning, kickboxing and body pump (intense weight lifting) classes..yay! I feel so powerful after working up a sweat for 2 hours. Last weekend, I went running along the San Francisco marina and the experience totally reinvigorated my fitness ambitions. I can't tell you how much i love the ocean. It is honestly the cheapest and most fulfilling form of therapy you can ever get. I don't get why people pay mad bucks just to sit in a confined space with a shrink dissecting your innermost thoughts. If you want to get in touch with your inner self and seek some kind of meaning to your chaotic lifestyle, just wander to the ocean..the tranquility of this space encapsulates and transports your mind and body to a place of total relaxation. Wow..did I just sound like an infomercial or what?

Haha..anyways, I also found myself craving oysters for some reason. My hubby and I plus a couple awesome friends found ourselves at the Hog Island Oyster Farm in the midst of pouring rain. It was so funny because during the entire drive to the farm, we were getting so hot b/c it the sun was beaming down on us. By the time we got to the Tomales Bay area, the dark brooding clouds were looming overhead and we were pelted by giant rain drops once we got to the oysters. But we were troopers who came prepared with 2 jumbo-sized umbrellas and we started a bbq pit right there in the middle of the rain! I was impressed! I was shucking away left and right, while gorging myself with nature's mother of pearls: Kumamotos and Hog Island's best, extra small Sweetwaters. If you haven't had fresh oysters, you haven't lived! It tastes just like the ocean; that's when you know it's the good stuff and with just a sprinkle of Tabasco sauce and fresh lemon..Yum--heaven on a half shell! You should also never eat oysters that smell fishy or look murky, even if the waiter tells you that's the way they eat them. I had this experience happen during a visit to South Beach last year and I wasn't having it. You can't mask funky oysters. In any case, I told myself that should I find my happy butt in Canada some day, I'm visiting Prince Edward Island to get my hands on them juicy Canadian cup oysters and oh-so-slobberlicious mussels they got up there. As you can probably tell, I'm a foodie in every sense of the word. What can I say...I live to eat!

No comments: