Sunday, July 6, 2008

I'm Collecting...

tokens of inspiration, that is. To rewind and recap back a year ago, I began this blog to document my goal of running my very first half marathon after a lifetime of mistakingly believing that I just wasn't a runner. I set out to prove myself wrong and I am so happy I did. Now, as I continue in the same tradition, I'm "running with a dream" to pursue my MBA.

A year ago, I never imagined myself running. And now, I'm gearing up for my 2nd half marathon in Napa in just two weeks' time to benefit the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. I'm even mentoring a group of awesome ladies who will be embarking on their 1st half. I'm ecstatic, but my own training has been sporadic. Well, after all, the air quality in Nor Cal has been extremely unhealthy as a result of the wildfires and this week, it got icky hot. In any case, after a day of gorging like a malnourished fool in celebration of our Nation's day of birth, I just had to run! At the butt crack of dawn on Saturday, I set out to prove to myself that once a runner, always a runner (hey, it's just like riding a bike, right?) The answer: yes it is. You just have to commit to running and you'll get there soon enough.

And run I did. 11 miles to be exact! The weather was perfect for running: no scorching sun, but a much-appreciated overcast with a blanket of fog and mist hugging Ocean Beach as I made my way along the Great Highway to Lake Merced and back again. Wow! I couldn't believe that I ran non-stop (well.. except to tie my hair, but that doesn't count in my book:) .

I bring up this story b/c as I and everyone else who is embarking on a journey to pursue what is right now a dream, but may very soon become real and tangible within a year's time, we all have to stay committed and focused on the bigger picture. I realized this not just from my 11 miles, but as I have been perusing through admissions essay topics, I've really had to dig deep within myself and do quite a bit of soul-searching. I've only begun to crack the applications, but even so, I realize that entire app process will be demanding, challenging and at times, perhaps even draining. I sometimes feel overwhelmed by the plethora of information that's being put out there on the blogosphere, but at the end of the day, I am utterly grateful to have so much support from those who have such obscure identities but possess such vivid personalities.

For many of us, the idea of pursuing an MBA was probably never something we aspired to achieve, at least it wasn't in my case. As I contemplate a concise and compelling way to present my on-paper self to the adcoms, I am compelled to think back to the one moment in time when that light bulb lit up above my head and I actually BELIEVED that this idea was possible. I know we all had it otherwise we wouldn't be blogging about it, right? So, I encourage you to do a bit of introspective analysis and rewind back to that moment. I believe that it is from those seemingly insignificant moments that we have the most profound epiphanies. I know I did.

So, along the way, I'll be collecting random tokens of inspiration to keep me on the right track to an MBA...wherever it may lead, there's only way way to go from here...and that's up!

BTW: The HBS Women's Info Session contact did email back and was also shocked at the "gone in 13 minutes" status of the session. I guess the limited space had to do with the fact it's hosted by the Womens Association at HBS and there's only going to be 2 reps there to speak with everyone. In any case, I'll be keeping in contact with her and come late Sept. when I visit HBS, It'll be nice to aim for a more intimate discussion with her. Hope springs eternal...I will not give up!


2 comments:

Starwalker said...

hey chandara, thanks for the comment on my blog.

And nice post.... i had never thought after so many years of surgery i'll be writing tests and brushing up my quants, but here I am.... good luck to you, and look forward to reading more from you

Anonymous said...

Congrats on HBS! If you apply the dedication you've applied to running and applications to your studies and changing the world, we'll all be better off!
-Nathaniel
dogoodwell.wordpress.com