Thursday, July 10, 2008

On my way to B-school info sessions!

I received a lovely email from my friend who just began her summer study abroad experience in Amsterdam and as much as I wish that were me right about now, I have to admit that I'm pretty happy to not have to shell out a Euro for every 15 minutes on the net. Can you imagine? By the time I finished writing this blog, I would have paid for my B-school app fee already?!

It's funny that while others are enjoying or looking forward to long-awaited vacations in paradise with visions of sipping mai tais and pina coladas, I'm here in the middle of a heat wave diligently planning the course of my highly-anticipated and hoped-for future. But you know what? I don't feel the least bit disappointed. I feel that it's my hopes and dreams that continue to fuel my desire to always better myself in ways I've never thought possible. Every summer, I find myself undertaking a new goal and in the process of it all, I learn more and more about the real me and about what truly brings me happiness and a sense of fulfillment on a day-to-day basis. True, financial freedom would definitely bring me close to my goals. But above all else, it's my passion for life and all its trials and tribulations. I just couldn't imagine living a life of knowing that I really have no purpose but to settle for whatever I can get. So, to put me one step closer to narrowing down my B-school list, I just signed up for some info sessions in SF. And this time, I'm confirmed!

To be honest, I haven't even gotten to finalizing my hit list. I hope to keep it at 5, okay, 6 max (I promise). I have, however, made the conscious decision to apply for R2 b/c I really want to visit some of my top choices before submitting myself to the grueling application process. I've got one free roundtrip from Southwest just waiting to be used up, so I'm very fortunate for that. Additionally, come November, I will be in NYC to support my very significant other for the ING Marathon so I will definitely visit Columbia and NYU to make the most of my time. I've visited both schools before, but that's when an MBA wasn't looming over my head and I had intended to pursue an advanced degree in education. My how 4 years changes everything!

Well, here are the sessions I'll be attending:

HBS Session: July 17
Chicago GSB: July 29
Penn Club MBA Info w/Wharton, HBS, Stanford, Sloan & Kellogg: August 14

This will be my very first opportunity to rub elbows with current students and adcom members, so this should serve as a good indicator of what each school has to offer me, esp. in the realm of social enterprise!

On another great note: I'm having lunch with my other two recommenders this month and they are each very excited to hear about my plans for B-school. In fact, one of them just received her MBA in June and she's already got a job lined up! So far, things are looking up!

No comments: